Featured Post

It's me again

I know...I am hugely inconsistent when it comes to blogging...which can't bode well for me or my readers. And I know I would be really a...

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

To induce or not to induce

That is the question.

Labor Story part 1 -
The weekend was uneventful.  I had no serious contractions and just mild cramping. 
Monday morning rolled around and we were supposed to be at the hospital by 6:30 am but we didn't get out of bed until 6 am and the hospital is about an hour away.  We hung around the house for a little while, I kept trying to convince the hubby to call off the induction, because really I was only a few days past my due date.  Of course he was not having it and so off to the hospital we went.  I was immediately taken a back when I walked outside because it was cold, windy and rainy...fall is clearly here.  Of course the rain means traffic seeing as we were leaving the house at 7:30 in the am.  So it took a bit longer to get to the hospital.  On the way there I started to get a bit nervous...because I hadn't heard good stories about the drug they use to induce labor.  I hear it cause the contractions to be more painful.  My mom says that's often because they give too much so it's like going 0 -60 in 5 mins.  Either way the whole idea made me uncomfortable.  On the way to the hospital the doctor's office called to find out where I was, I told them that I was on my way and they were like ok.  Turn out they like you to get there before the crack of dawn so they can monitor you and then start the process so that the birth doesn't go into the wee hours of the night. 

Once I got to the hospital, we registered and they took me up to the room.  It was all very pleasant.  Once I got into my room though, it took 20 mins before I actually saw a nurse which was a bit off putting especially since they were expecting me and since there was only like two other patients on the ward.   In the end I got an IV in my hand - very painful - for me anyway...my least favorite part.  The nurse put Jelly Bean on a monitor, they put me on the machine to check my pressure and the contractions, which were very mild.
Then I had a ton of paper work to review and sign and I got hooked up to a glucose bag and antibiotics for the Group Strep B...

After I was all hooked up my petite little doctor walked in and was like, I think we can send you home.  LOL...she had called me after I had been in the hospital for 2 hrs and said after a second review of my chart and the nurses review of my current progress I could probably go home because technically I was only a few days from my due date and since I was having mild contractions it looks like the little guy was making his way down and no need to force him if the body is doing what it's supposed to be doing and he is responding well.  Turns out my chart at the doctor's office had the wrong due date, my actual due date was October 2 which is what I had been telling people anyway. I liked the idea of going home but was also a little perturb at the thought of not getting the little guy out especially since I was already there.  Hubby was of the opinion they had be there go ahead and take him out...he is of course very excited and anxious to see our little guy. 

In the end I opted to go home...I really would prefer not to be induced.  Although anticipation of the whole ideal is getting to me and making me very weary.  I still would prefer for him to come out as natural as possible.   So we packed up and I left the hospital and treated my mom and hubby to this all local Italian eatery near the hospital that some work friends had taken me to that is absolutely delish.  I have been meaning to take hubby there but because of the distance we hadn't made it so it was nice for us all have lunch together...

No comments:

Post a Comment