Featured Post

It's me again

I know...I am hugely inconsistent when it comes to blogging...which can't bode well for me or my readers. And I know I would be really a...

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Breastfeeding - my journey

Since studies have shown breastfeeding is best for babies, I decided I wanted to breastfed my little guy.

What no one told me:
To begin with at the birthing classes the instructor informed us during the breastfeeding session that breastfeeding should not hurt as long as the baby was latched on correctly.
Well, I found out that was not true..AT ALL! 
They neglect to tell you that latched on correctly or not, it takes 2 weeks for your nipples to toughen up. So the first suck when the initial latch on actually happens is frightfully painful.  During week one I seriously considered giving up.  However, 6 weeks later I am glad I didn't.  there was definitely no way I could prep my nipples for the trauma they had to undergo.
Secondly, my full supply doesn't come in until about 6-8 weeks.  I thought that what I was producing from the beginning would be all I would produce.  Not so, I was concerned my supply was low and my son wasn't getting enough.  Turns out my milk supply has increased week after week and that my son who gained 3lbs in his first month of life was getting more than enough.

Best part of  breastfeeding:
The calories burned!!!! LOL...also the ability to bond with my son in a way nothing else allows.  The first few weeks it felt like it was just me and this appendage but now he stays awake for part of the feeding and we bond or at least I feel like we are bonding ( it could be all in my head). 

The whole process definitely started out as a big ordeal because my son has favored one breast and would have trouble latching on to his favorite side but would latch on no problems to his least favorite side...my nipple would cauliflower which was painful and horrible so I spoke to a lactation consultant and we worked it out.  In the end so worth it and I plan on breastfeeding exclusively for 6 months and then breastfeeding up until a year if I can pump for that time but at least until he's nine month.

No comments:

Post a Comment