Featured Post

It's me again

I know...I am hugely inconsistent when it comes to blogging...which can't bode well for me or my readers. And I know I would be really a...

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Pantry Challenge - week 2

In my second week of the challenge...I felt a little bit more prepared.  I sat down with hubs last week and we worked out a menu
Sat - if you remember from the previous week was up in the air
Sun - Superbowl party
Mon - Gnocchi and salad
Tues - Stir-fry
Wed - Red beans and rice
Thurs - Black eyed peas - hubs request
Fri - we were traveling so some fruit and reception at the hotel

My menu ended as follows
Sat - Caribbean Rice mix and avocado
    - I was hungry on Saturday and the hubs was taking the boys to his mother because she was having a dinner for something - I found this rice mix I had in the pantry that came with the rice and all the seasonings in a packet but not like a rice a roni it was bit more sophisticated...anyway I put it on and added a can of pigeon peas and in 30 mins I had a meal with some tomato and avocado...delish. 
Sun - for lunch - more Caribbean rice
Monday - for lunch and dinner - the last of the Caribbean rice...it really lasted ...I was impressed and happy.
Tuesday - Gnocchi and a salad
Wed - We ordered pizza with some money I had left from my grocery shopping - $15
Thurs - the rest of the pizza
Fri - sandwiches until we get to the hotel.

Ok...so I didn't clear as many things out of my pantry as possible.
Originally I budgeted $50 a week for food, fresh fruits and veggies and complement for my cooked dishes.  I have spent 82.05...not to bad and with the extra cash I had left over I put gas in my car today. 
That being said since I didn't do all the things I anticipate this week...next week we should be ok the first few days so I may not even need to go to the grocery... we shall see.

I am think the menu will be as follows

Sun - taco salad
Mon - Black-eyed peas/ rice/ sauteed cabbage
Tues- Pasta salad ( I have some vegetable pasta I really want to try)
Wed - Stir -Fry ( brown rice or whole wheat couscous
Thurs - Mediterranean rice mix and some kind of veggie
Fri - either leftovers - some red beans.
Sat - lunch at church - I will probably take come rice and peas to share

 As part of my shopping last week I picked up four boxes of cereal so that will be breakfast for a while.  I just need to get some more almond milk.  I purchased some hemp milk to try but it was ridiculously expensive so I may take it back. Also, for breakfast I have been using the fresh fruit some days and just some frozen fruit the other days and the hubs has been taking lunch and eating carrot sticks and celery as a snack...so we are one the right track.

Along with this pantry challenge I am doing a financial fast so I am only spending money on necessities and trying to only spend cash no debit or credit cards.  I will have to fill you all in later...I know...I know I got too many things going on...but I figured they went well together so we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment