Featured Post

It's me again

I know...I am hugely inconsistent when it comes to blogging...which can't bode well for me or my readers. And I know I would be really a...

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Diabetes Test

Yesterday I went and had my diabetes test done. I was really dreading the experience 1) because I heard dreadful things about the sugar water they force you to drink in 5 mins or under 2) I don't want gestational diabetes, and 3) well I am a big baby when it comes to needles I loathe them so any type of blood work makes me uneasy.

Anyway, I got up and went to the doctor's for my regular monthly check up and diabetes test. I am surprised to say the sugar water was not as bad as I thought, I expected something thicker and less of a liquid sort. It reminded me of orange soda without the fizz mixed with orange kool-aid. Not to say I would ever drink the stuff on a bad day or just for kicks but still it went down easy as long as I didn't stop drinking and just let it flow to the back of my throat.
As for the rest of my appointment no major issues. Baby's heart rate was great. I was also telling the doctor of some soreness in my abdomen...I think I pulled something when I lifted a suitcase on one of my trips and she gave me a small remedy and said I should be fine. SO then I just waited for the blood work and then left.
What I was not prepared after all that sugar water was the tiredness that came after drinking it. I had to take a 20 min power nap before going into work and then all day my jelly bean was bouncing off the walls of my belly. And for the rest of the day I suffered from a mild headache...odd. I usually crave sugar but clearly whatever is in that stuff was too much for my body to handle at once...I spent the rest of the day eating light and drowning myself with water.

The other aspect of my doctor's appointment that mortified me ( and yes mortified is the right word) was my weight gain...I have maxed out on the recommend amount of weight to gain and the baby isn't even full term. I still have too more months to go. Sigh...I wish there was a way to let the baby grow without putting on more weight...so I am completely bummed about that and have been thinking up strategies to monitor my weight gain from here out...clearly I won't be eating anymore of Rita's delicious frozen custard. And I will be getting on the scale to monitor my progress...Oh the joys of pregnancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment