Featured Post

It's me again

I know...I am hugely inconsistent when it comes to blogging...which can't bode well for me or my readers. And I know I would be really a...

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Temptation

As I rock my baby to sleep tonight I am tempted...
Tempted to let him nurse even though I know he's not hungry.
Tempted to let him over eat because I know the nursing will knock him out.  I know that he's fussy because he's so tired but just doesn't want to sleep. 
My husband seems to have a magic technique because my son will lay on his chest and be asleep within minutes.  Me on the other hand he will want to nurse if I put him anywhere near my breast...so I am tempted to take the easy way out so I can get a little me time.

I had all these ideas lined up before I had the baby, no he would not nurse himself to sleep every night because I don't want him to associate eating with sleeping.  Or the "itis" as we call it...having a heavy meal and then thinking you must take a nap.  Yes, I know I sound a little crazy, I mean we are talking about a baby and he likes the comfort of the sucking action hough getting the milk is a nice payoff.  Still I just don't want to instill that in him..but I am so tempted.
I always said I wouldn't let him sleep in my bed or just pull out the breast to feed him and then fall back asleep all exposed...it always drove me crazy when my sister who was probably exhausted ( I realize that now) did that.  And so far I haven't done the leave out the breast thing but I do let him fall asleep in my bed after his early morning feeding many times.  I have been warned though not to make it a habit or he may never leave my bed.  Secretly that is fine with me...I love my little man so much but I am sure as time goes on I would prefer he slept in his crib/bed.

So I don't give in, I try to rock him to sleep and when he starts to get droosy I lay him in his bassinet and walk out the room and check back in 15 mins...and wouldn't you know that after a little bit of fussiness he is fast asleep and I feel like I have stuck to my principles...tonight at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment